Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I Actually Have to Admit it!

Last night was a pretty good night. I would say that no one totally sucked. Is it an American Idol first? Perhaps it is! Maybe Paula will even surprise us by coming in sober one of these weeks too! ; )

So obviously they're trying to spice up the show this year....the ridiculously long rounds of semi-finals, the surprise "13", the new judge, and now the judges are announced by some special announcer. Woopdeedoo....just like the rest of it. Yet it was fun to watch Paula do her nutty catwalk down the steps. Who walks with one leg completely over the other like that? Glammed up, eccentric old ladies who wear glitter eyemakeup and feathers, that's who!

Ryan introduced the band as "the best musicians in the business" -- did they fire the ones who did the semi-final show? Or were they different musicians? Because they kinda sucked, yo? And how about the HORRIBLE angle they shot the contestants from in the intro? It was like someone was filming them from the bottom of a toilet bowl.

So, when they announced Michael Jackson music, I have to admit, I thought they'd really bomb....but they didn't, so I find myself a wee bit impressed with the 8th season contestants. At least if something about the show is actually going to be good, it's the talent. The talent should be its saving grace.

Lil took the stage with "The Way You Make Me Feel." While I found the lighting during her performance disturbing (looked like she was in a haze) I think she was pretty flawless. I assumed they put her up first to start the show off well and it was a good move.

Scott from Scottdale performed an unknown song and I thought it was the best performance from him I've heard. Nice piano playing, nice voice. I fear though that we're going to be inundated with inspirational tunes from him, ala David Archuletta. I can only take so much of that before I go into sugar shock. One thing we find very annoying here in the household is that they keep saying "visually impaired" and don't tell us what his eye disease is. That's a personal thing since my husband is "visually impaired" but we think they should just come out and name the damn disease!

Danny did PYT. I've always liked this song. I think he might have screwed up a little with his na-na-na's and I didn't care for his blazer very much, but he was fun. It was decent, but not tear-worthy as Lady Abdul seemed to think it was. "Oh you're going all the way!!" OK, take a seat.

Michael did "You Are Not Alone" -- I'm pretty sure this is from the Lisa Marie Presley era. That still gives me goosebumps (in the bad way). Michael the roughneck's voiceis much higher than I thought. I think it was smart of him to pick a slow, sensitive song because he's too big to be jumping around Michael Jackson style. He was, perhaps, overly smiley...yet, he did a very good job. Paula tried to use the word "instinctually" and flubbed it up as per usual. She and George W. Bush would probably have an interesting conversation if they ever got together.

Jasmine's outfit was just beautiful. I loved it. She did "I'll Be There" which I would have predicted if I were given a chance to predict it. She totally proved me wrong and I thought she sang very well. The camera loves her too. I wrote that in my notes, sure that I would be beating Kara and Paula to the punch, but they never said it. I thought it was odd that Simon pegged the performance as a little girl trying to act grown up when this song was done by Michael Jackson when he was 11 years old.

Kris - Kris's family video was really strange. It looked like his family didn't have any chairs. Then he assisted his wife with taking spaghetti out of a box. Is she pasta challenged or something? Kris played acoustic guitar (which I love) and did "Remember the Time" and damn, Kris was much better than I thought. I'm going to lose money on this guy. He's very natural. I'm not sure why Paula had to say, "Don't take this the wrong way -- you're adorable sexy" -- perhaps it is leftover anxiety from the Corey years. Simon started pulling Paula's ridiculous outfit apart during this critique, which was rather amusing.

Allison, the weirdo, is from El Salvador and she sings in furniture stores. If she would simply perform and never open her mouth (and never show the clip of singing in furniture stores again) she'd have a great shot at winning this competition. Wow, she did a song I didn't know, but rocked the house! "Give in to Me" was dark and powerful. She's totally natural.

Anoop - He looked 10x better tonight, great haircut. Still a little heavy on the eyebrows, but it doesn't matter because his right eye is total round and his left eye is slanted. It's all good. Killer clothing. He chose "Beat it" and I hate to agree with Paula, but you just don't go there. No one is going to perform that song well. Simon said there wasn't enough aggression, but just think of the guy who sang it and the dancing gang members. Weird tune, dude. Classic, but weird. I'm not sure "aggression" is called for. I'm afraid Anoop might have to beat it tonight!

Jorge did "Never Can Say Goodbye." Man o man, he's just like a b-version star to me. I feel like I'm watching Telemundo or something. This performance reminded me of a variety show performance....like he'd be on between Sonny & Cher skits. Jorge also has the kookie eyes like Anoop -- right eye is round and left eye is kinda saggy. Hey, no fault of his. The performance wasn't awful, but nothing to write home about (or write a blog post about).

Commercials -- what's with this Osbournes Reloaded? When Ozzy kicks the bucket is Sharon going to drag him around like "Weekend at Bernies" ? What won't these people do? And how BIZARRE is that new McDonald's commercial? I'll do the ditty here and it will be stuck in your head all day but it's a very creepy commercial. I'd love to know what ad executive came up with, "Give me back that filet o fish. Give me that fish. What if it were you hanging up on the wall? What if it were you in that sandwich, you wouldn't be laughing at all!" -- so....the talking fish on the wall wants the sandwich BACK? I think they should only run that commercial down south.

Megan - damn! Megan's mom! Geez, that's some good genes over there, eh? Beautiful women. Rockin' Robin....now I "GET" why she picked it, but it didn't show off any of her abilities. The music was really lame too. Felt like a talent show.

Paula's bracelet is totally weird tonight with the giant metal tag!

Adam - HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALL E LU JAH!!! Give it to me! Sho'mon! Sho'mon! Adam took one of the worst MJ songs "Black or White" and just fired up the stage. Love you Adam!!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! Great fashion, great singing, great performance, Adam the great!
Paula was hyperventilating, crying over the performance and I won't go that far (because I'm not on any chemical substances) but he certainly deserved all the praise! Kara said, "I hope Michael Jackson is watching tonight" -- yeah, and crying his nose off that his career is shot.

Matt did "Human Nature" which I've always liked (glad Adam didn't sing it --- "tell me why does he do me that way")Matt did a nice job. I couldn't really hear the piano. Let's face it, it must have been a bitch to follow Adam.

Alexis did "Dirty Diana" and this tiny thing can kick some ass. It was a little manic in parts but she's a good performer.

So, based on performances I think Anoop and Jorge should go home, maybe even Megan but I think she needs to stay based on her unique qualities. We shall see.

Kinda busy today folks, so I will update the poll and the picture later! Leave comments or email me! Lynn, OUT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I thought everyone did great or at least okay. My opinion is that Scott (believe it or not) should go. I just dont care for his voice and his song was boring. If I had to pick I would say Jorge or Jasmine. Both sang well but were forgetable last night.

ToniG said...

I agree that Adam was awesome, but he does something weird with his tongue. Has anyone else noticed that? Did Bear get a haircut? He looks more like a Labrador instead of a Golden.

Lynn said...

Yes, totally notice the tongue...it is when he really stretches his voice, goes up high and does the rocker scream. He only did it once last night.
No, Bear didn't get a haircut. First thing, this is an older picture (maybe a month or so old). Number two I would never groom a Golden. Number three, Goldens don't get their full hair right away, it gradually grows. He's not even close to having the full golden hair yet. He's only 6 mos old.