Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Estoy contento de estar aquí!" says American Idol Contestant

"They’ve said goodbye to their families, abandoned their jobs....they've been waiting in the firey pit of hell for their chance to perform, with me, Ryan Seacrest, otherwise known as Beelzebub. And THISSSSS is American Idol!" [devil horns]

In an outfit straight out of hell, Von Smith took the stage to sing "You're all I need to get by." Von, try wearing something NOT orange. Who wears orange? Honestly. So, Von's a good singer. For being first up he certainly showed more than most of the contestants from previous shows. He's a good performer and he picked a good song. Not to be rude, but the chick with “the teeth” in the audience? What was up with that? Anyone see those choppers? Oh, that's right....Von's from Missouri. The land of missing dentistry. So, I agree with Simon on this one his singing style reminded me of Clay Aiken. I don't know if Von is gay, but there certainly seems to be A LOT of gay guys on the show this year.

Taylor who is 17 years old and looks 25 chose “If I Ain’t Got You.” This is really tough to sing if you aren’t Alicia Keys. Almost pointless unless you’re her. She can’t hope to do anything but pale in comparison. She wasn't God awful, but she wasn't anything special either. For some reason Kara wants to know what it is like to go shopping with her.

Alex was up next. Seemed totally karaoke and he made very weird noises! I can't even understand how he got to the semi-finals. He reminds me of a muppet singing. Alex (and his parents) looked totally embarrassed by the whole thing. As they should!'

Arianna – She certainly is a cutie. She chose “Winner Takes it All” by Abba. While you can tell that she can sing, her interpretation of this song is strange and all over the place. It’s too bad because when she really starts to sing you can tell what a good voice she has but the rest was just bizarre. My husband says she’ll make it through.

Ju’Not Joyner – Ugh, I did not like this at all. He took a really sweet, hopeful and youthful tune: "Hey There Delilah" and made it morbid. Sounds more like someone on their last leg crawling their way to Delilah. No sir, I don’t like it. And who knew that a cortisone shot in the ass could help your voice?

I like Randy’s vest and I actually like Paula’s watch.

Kristen reminds me of Chrissy Snow from Three’s Company. She did a good job with “Give me one Reason” by Tracy Chapman. I think she's wearing a dress from the wardrobe of Three’s Company’s too!

Do you just love the look of metal boogers hanging out of someone's nose? Well, then Nathaniel's your guy! His moves look like a Jane Fonda aerobics video and the headband isn’t helping either. He doesn’t have a shot in hell on Idol. He should just try to get a job in a musical or something, this is not his gig. He kind of makes my skin crawl!

Felicia – We know she was asked to come back to the competition, we just don’t know why. That's probably the more interesting part. Who did what that they had to be expelled? Who dropped out? I think she picked a good song because I don’t think this is one of those untouchable Alicia Keys songs. I like it, but for AK I thought it was kind of a lower standard. I think she sounds pretty good, the backup singers and band kind of stink though. What’s up with them this year? She’s really pretty, not just cute as a button. I like her.

Scott from Scottsdale (or as you probably know him as "the blind guy")did a nice performance of “Mandolin Rain.” Not great, not bad. I guess he’s going through no matter what because the judges are saying that they can’t wait for everyone to see him play the piano. I'm glad Scott made a joke of Ryan's high-five because honestly, I think Ryan took unnecessary crap on that one (yes, I'm defending Ryan). I don't think he did anything wrong trying to give Scott a high-five and I know from experience. 'nuf said.

Kendall did “This One's for the Girls” and I was impressed by her rich voice. Not so much by Daddy's alligator dance, but Kendall can sing! If I had never heard this song before I would’ve assumed she was the original artist singing it. Very seasoned performance in my opinion. I didn’t like her outfit. Paula liked it because it looked like something she would wear. I didn’t hear any problems with the notes, like the judges mentioned. She's a good country candidate.

Puerto Rican Jorge Nunez said “We have lots of talent” – if that's so, why are you the only Puerto Rican there…oh yeah and Tatiana, let's not forget her. I think Jorge is another gay guy on the show. And oh why why why do they always have to sing this song. YUCK!!!! “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” I wish the sun would go down on everyone who sings this and leave their charred, steaming corpses on the Idol stage. OK, I guess I don’t mean that…maybe they could just run around like Tom (of Tom & Jerry) with his tail on fire. Yipe Yipe Yipe Yipe! STOP SINGING THIS SONG. I love when Simon says to Paula, “You heart him don’t you?” How funny was that?
I guess he was good, but I really don’t care. I just hate that song so much now.
Aw, look, Georgie’s crying and then he says something in Spanish. And somehow with my overall C- average in Spanish I was able to understand what he said! “I’m so glad to be here.” At least that’s what I got out of it. Not bad, not bad, but he can stay off the roster if you ask me.

Lil Rounds – Is that like Lil – short for Lilly? Or is that like Lil’ Wayne and Lil’ Kim? Wow, a black girl finally sings a Mary J. Blige song. Lil, are you sure you don’t want to sing a Sarah Barreilles song?! I really like this song and this woman is a pro. She just sang and performed the heck out of the song. Kara went all ebonica in her critique: “You still a powerhouse!” --- why doesn’t she critique Jorge in Spanish: “Muy bueno Jorge! Muy bueno!” or tell Nathaniel he was just “fierce (sss), girlfriend” Kara be so racist. ; )

OK, so what do we have here? Well, I really don't know what to expect from the home voters anymore, but I'm going to say, for the girls it should be Lil, for the guys it should be Jorge (groan)and I'm guessing the 3rd vote will go to Scott. I'd like to see Lil, Kendall, Felicia and maybe Von.

Then I guess the judges are going to pick three more from whoever didn't make it. That's going to be tough. I say: Megan Corkrey should definitely be in there. The other two, will probably depend on who's left out of this group.

Your thoughts?

No comments: