Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Week 2 Semi Finals

Last night was pretty boring, except for the obvious highlight at the end (strategically placed). As a kid I used to sleepwalk, now I think I've taken on sleepwriting.

ThiSSSSSSSSSSSS is American Idol!

Ryan was amped up at the beginning of the show. Little did he know how positively lame his interviews were going to be with the contestants.

What's that dangling peace sign Randy does? Is it an "I'm so cool and lazy I can't even lift my fingers" move or is he somehow giving a shoutout to cows and their udders? It's kinda weird for me for you Randy. And did Simie really change sides of the table because the lighting was bad? I thought the girls were kookie.

Is it just me or does "Kai Kalama" sound like "high calonic?" That's what I thought Ryan said in the intro. Yuck. I won't go there. REALLY. I WON'T go there.

Finally we're to the first contestant....
Jasmine – I’ve always been kinda down on Jasmine because even though she can carry a tune, I don't think she's THAT great and I think her getting in is way more about the "cute" factor. She took a fun vocal and made it really drab. Totally not for her even though she’s young. And sorry, but this is totally a white girl song. I’m sure the rest of the white girls will get up there trying to sound like Whitney, Mariah, or Aretha and this girl, with a low voice no less, picks "Love Song" by Sarah Bareilles?? Blah. Poor Sarah - that's kick in the gut #2 from this show.

Paula’s cleavage is particularly distracting tonight. Not in a good way. At least not for me.

Matt doesn’t LOOK like an Idol. Actually, he looks kind of like Michael Buble with facial hair. Too bad he doesn't sing like him. "Viva La Vida?!" are you for real? You're going to sing that? No. That masterpiece shouldn't be messed with. Matt sounded breathy and the band was SOOOOOOOOO lame compared to the original music. Matt threw in too many runs and was way too pitchy. Why is Randy calling this a "simple song?" I don’t agree with that at all. Ryan tried to protect the song, Chris Martin (in particular) and Cold Play after Randy's comments, which I agree with, but it was a little bizarre how much Ryan made a point out of it. Is he afraid Chris Martin will de-friend him on MySpace or something?

Paula looks like she’s on sleeping pills tonight. Wake up lady! If anything, take the opposite of sleeping pills for this show, because you're going to need it.

Jeanine – “This Love” by Maroon 5 is her choice. OK, are these the whitest black chicks ever on this show? About this point in the show all the old fogies who watch it (there are plenty) are saying, “What the hell are these songs?” Terrible, terrible. Great body (I noted the legs in my notes prior to the judges), bad performance. Well, at least she can do pantyhose commercials. I hated this performance even more than the last two and that’s bad. Even worse, this contestant TALKS. Oh I hate that. “I’m under the radar!!!!” Woe, shut up. “I haven’t blown it yet, I haven’t blown it yet!” Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Is there anything more annoying than when the contestants give a critique of their own performance? "I think I did well" "I disagree" "America decides!" BLAH BLAH BLAH. You were put here to sing, not speak. We hear enough from the four talking heads plus the mannequin host already.

Paula’s ring….can she open that thing up and add magical ingredients to her Coke cup?

"Norman Gentle" was up next. This guy is going to play it out as long as he can. Let's face it, he won't win. He'll just be on long enough for Simon to worry that he could win and then threaten to leave the show (remember the Sanjaya season?) His dad looked really angry at the beginning of his performance, but I guess later he realized the camera was on him and he put on a smile. Is it ridiculous that he’s taking up a spot on this show? In part, yes. But let’s face it, the last three performances were PURE TORTURE and he’s at least been entertaining. Plus, they’ve brought 36 freaking people to this semi-final, so what the heck, why not?! Paula philosophized that "this is America and singers come in all sizes, shapes, and fashions" (she oughta know – she’s been all of them). Later, Ryan asks Paula a question and she brings the show to an utter standstill (Ryan, if I could only warn you, this is just the first of your awkward interview moments tonight). Then, in typical Paula style, she seems not to know she’s been asked a question. Then she apparently forgets how to answer a question so she goes, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!” Hoooooo boy.

My husband and daughter “HATE” Paula’s hair. Geez....catty, don't you think? ;)

Alison is up. Is it just me, or is it hard to tell whether these people are 28 or 16? They look no different. I guess that's not good for Alison who is 16. Wow, Alison is a SUPER WEIRDO. Good thing she has vocal talent because she’s not going for comedy or public speaking. "Hey Alison, what’s it like being in class?" A: "Well you’re in a room. You’re by yourself. Well you’re not by yourself. It’s easier. It’s a lot of hours. Well it’s not." Maybe this is some kind of conspiracy against Ryan…to just make him look totally awkward. Alison singing “Alone” is better than the previous performances but it still isn’t that great. I predicted that the judges would go wild over it because they're starving for something half-way decent. Prediction correct! Randy: "You blew it out da box" But no, Randy, she didn’t, she really didn't. It was just a'ight and you know it.

Kris Allen - "Man in the Mirror?" Again.....Really?? Really with this song??? What are these people thinking? This guy can't do a Michael Jackson song. (With regard to the song --- can you imagine looking at the man in Michael Jackson’s mirror?! It’s a wonder he doesn’t drop dead each morning!) I thought Kris was OK and that’s it. Nothing special. Seems like a genuine guy, but not really a star.

Oh yay, these performances are downloadable on iTunes! AS IF!!!!

Meagan Corkrey – She is super cute, entertaining, and enjoyable. She’s really different. Not sure what to make of the tattoo sleeve, but it’s all part of the enigma she seems to be. Best performance so far, even with the weird twisting around ("cork"screwing around?) in the Sunday school dress. Finally someone to vote for. She goes through for the girls.

Matt did “If You Could Only See” by Tonic. He’s Ok. If he got up at a party and did this he would blow people away, but I’m not hearing superstar vocals. He’s better than the losers at the top of the program, but again, EH.

Jesse chose Bette Davis Eyes and I thought it was a good choice for her voice. I loved this song when I was a kid. Greatest song ever written? Uh, no. The tone is good but she loses the melody a bit in the middle. I think she was the second best girl but she might have to go wildcard at this point. Plus, she was a BIG talker after her performance which I don't like (see Jeanine's commentary above). Listen, if you have that much to say, go get a blog! ;)

Kai Kalama – I like this guy's wild hair, his warm complexion, he’s one I'm watching right now. Voice is really nice. While I do like the hair I think the Idol stylists will help him out a little. Best guy, so far...but he doesn't stay at the top. I think he'll have to go wildcard as well.

Mishavonna did "Drops of Jupiter" (I know people like this song, but I hate it). Aaaay----aaay----Aaaay----aaay. As every year, one of the major problems with these contestants is that they are trying so hard to perform rather than really being into the song and singing it through and through. Truth be told I don’t know if I can look at her cartoonish face all season (and by cartoonish I'm being kind). The chicks are weird this season, eh?

So Adam from Hollywood comes on and I’m either going to love this guy or hate him. Am I down with the dark hair and eyeliner? Uh, yeah!!! Though there is something troubling about the look. He looks like he tries a little too hard...kinda seems poser-ish. When I heard he was doing "Satisfaction" I thought oh no. That song is SOOOO overrated, but let’s see what he does with it. As uncomfortable as it always makes me feel when guys give "the eyes" to the camera (like Clay Aiken or Constantine or even Justin Guarini did) I have to admit I always secretly like it. It’s so ballsy! This was the only guy to really PERFORM. Man o man. OK, SO I'M TOTALLY ON BOARD!!!! Some people will certainly hate him, but he’s the only one out there SO FAR in the whole competition that used that stage and sang that song. And guess what? That song is DAMN boring and he made it exciting! Adam! Adam! Adam!! Wooo hoooo. A reason to watch the show for another year, yet again. (Don't worry, I promise not to fall in love with him like I did with Jason Castro).

There goes Paula, taking my guys again. ALWAYS. Damn her. Look at her. She’s all out of breath and fawning. Damn you, you cougar!!

Yo! Did you hear the Randy Dog mention My Chemical Romance!!??? Now that's what I'm talking about dawg!! While Adam isn't as cool as Gerard Way, he's got some wicked killer vocals. Wow, what a range! He woke me up before I went went.

So I'll leave you on a high note. Going through tonight: Adam, absolutely....Meagan, pretty certainly, and......well......you know it's probably Norman.

What are your thoughts? Comment or email!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam is a definite. I think Alison will get through too. I would like to see Kai (sp?)get through but I think the third could possibly be Megan. I thought most of the show was just blah. Most of them picked horrible songs that did not suit them AT ALL and I agree about Paula's hair.. It's horrible. I spent half the time wishing someone would wipe her damn bangs out of her eyes. Man in the Mirror should be outlawed from the show. It never comes off good no matter who is singing it.

Lynn said...

Jess,
I think you are right about "Man in the Mirror." It kind of came off like a joke coming from Michael Jackson and always sounds like a joke whenever anyone sings it. With regard to Paula....she need the hair in her face like that so she can take catnaps during the performances. If you'll recall from last year, she did a negative critique of Jason Castro's performance before he even did it because she watched it during rehearsals and was (probably!) sleeping through the actual show.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I remember that. I hope Simon smacked her in the head for that one. Her hair has definitely looked better but whoever has been styling it the past few weeks needs to take a closer look at the Woman in the Mirror!! Awful!

Markey said...

You guys are both right. Paula's hair was a mess last week! I'm watching this week's show right now and I'm thinking she kinda looks like a mermaid what with the green dress and new hairstyle...

And Adam is definitely the best, no contest!! I can't wait to see what he does in the future. The My Chemical Romance reference was a definite turn on. Gerard Way is awesome!! ^_^