Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Randy Travis, the Friendly Alien

With the amount of time we spend looking at and listening to the four judges each week, I don't think they should continue to introduce them like they are Miss America Contestants. It is like having a formal introduction each time your co-worker steps into the office each day at this point. Silly.

Kara's clothing, jewelry, and hair seemed Paula-inspired last night.

And Randy Travis looks like an alien. He's a friendly alien, but no human being has a head like that. Agreed?

Michael did "Ain't Goin' Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up" and sometimes I wonder if it is the only Garth Brooks song they're allowed to sing on the show. It is a song with some speedy lyrics, but Michael handled this like an auctioneer. Not much feeling to it. The performance was also badly captured by the camera men. There was too much focus on the harmonica player and Michael walking around (here's a great view of Michael's back!). I think Michael's going home tonight.

Allison was pretty flawless. I found it strange that she wore a flower in her hair that was the exact same color of her hair. Paula said she's like to see her "vulnerable" side. That's vulnerable #1 from Paula tonight.

Chris also did a Garth Brooks song. OK, so they are allowed to sing other ones, especially if they weren't huge hits. Everyone thought it was great, but I was pretty bored. I started to day dream about how Chris's wife was getting the spaghetti out of the box this week by herself. Paula said it was nice to see his "vulnerable" side. That's #2. Simon thought it was terrific, but that's probably becuase it didn't sound like a country song. Ryan said of Simon's critique that he was just waiting for Simon's butt the whole time but it never came. Watch out Simon!

Lil or Little as Simon prefers to call her sang Martina McBride's Independence Day. She also got messed up in an interview with Ryan when he asked, "How much time do you guys spend together?" and she responded, "We spend quite a few time together." WOOPS. I thought she did well when the chorus kicked in but this didn't suit her at all. Nothing bad, but nothing mind blowing.

Totally teaching Lil a lesson on what you should do when a song isn't in your style, Adam came on the scene with an middle-eastern, gothic, gay dungeon version of "Ring of Fire" -- and I loved it, ya'll!!! What did you expect? I wrote down "Simon is going to say it is indulgent" -- but gosh darnit, aren't rock starts suppose to be indulgent? Randy Travis the alien was looking at this performance like it was from another planet! Earth perhaps Randy, hmmm?

Scott did a nice performance. Big surprise. Kara said he has an angelic quality. Simon called Paula stupid. Yawn.

Alexis did Jolene. It's a great song and I remember when Brooke White did this I really liked her version. I prefer Alexis's personality to Brooke's but I don't think Alexis did as good of a job with this song. I think part of her problem is that she's so tiny. When you're small like that you have to do something big (ala Dolly Parton) to bring more presence to the stage. Paula used "vulnerable" for the 3rd time tonight in her comment. Alexis said, "I had fun." I have to ask, why do these contestants think we give a rat's patootie if they're having fun. So what?

Danny - my first thought was --- what is that white jacket about? Really bizarre looking on him. I do love "Jesus Take the Wheel" (really I do!) and he did well with it. Simon agreed with me on the jacket. He said, "You look like you're dressed for the North Pole and we're in Los Angeleeze." (or something like that...don't mistake the quotation marks for real quotes).

Anoop did a very nice performance of Always on My Mind. How'd they round out his left eye? They look more the same this week. Wow, those Idol stylists are something! Anoop looked great. He looks better every week. I love the way he dresses. Tonight he had on a cool hoodie. He just comes off like the hottest guy in the IT department. Like the nerd who gets all the chicks. Good for you Anoop!

Megan did "Walking After Midnight" and I think she’s super cool but isn’t she kind of a novelty? Would you listen to a whole album of Megan? The tattoo sleeve never looked more out of place than it did last night with the brown gown. Her performance was good though and she's stunningly beautiful. Megan had the flu. Geez, I wish I looked that good when I had the flu (or on my best day for that matter!) What the heck do they do with her running around with Influenza B? Do they store her away in a hyperbaric chamber back stage?

Matt was awesome last night. It sounded like he was performing his own song. I bet that they would say it was the night's best performance and Randy did! It was very heartfelt and he just did a great job!

Since Paula said "vulnerable" 3x tonight she tried to say "authenticity" instead on this one. Oops, can't say that big word.

The judges compared Matt to Michael Buble, but they aren't realizing that he doesn't sound like him --- HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM! And I said that weeks ago.

So that's your summary. Say goodbye to Michael or maybe Scott.

Nahnoo Nahnoo, Randy Travis.

1 comment:

ToniG said...

I agree that Randy Travis looked really strange last night. Alien was a good word to describe him, Lynn. Also agreed that Michael or Scott will be going home. Even though Megan is the worst singer, in my opinion,(and it's not just because of the flu - i have felt that way for a while)I believe the judges will "save" her if she has the lowest votes. They really seem to love her quirkiness or maybe it's the mini twist thing she does when she dances. She is very different but at some point they will have to come to their senses and remember that this is a singing competition.